Mr. Appleton is a founding partner and member of Appleton Reiss.
Mr. Appleton has practiced association and real estate law in Florida, including litigation and transactional matters, since 1999. He has substantial experience representing real estate owners, developers, office parks, commercial associations and residential condominium and homeowners’ associations throughout Florida.
Mr. Appleton’s law practice focuses on assisting association officers, directors and community managers with corporate operations, including litigation, arbitration, mediation and transactions. Mr. Appleton has represented real property owners, commercial associations and residential community associations in complex disputes with residents, tenants, lenders, insurance carriers, neighboring property owners, vendors and developers at mediation, arbitration and trial.
Mr. Appleton also has considerable experience with condominium terminations, collection and foreclosure litigation, as well as property damage and construction defect claims in Florida.
In addition to having significant and well-known experience as a community association attorney in Florida, Mr. Appleton is certified by the Supreme Court of Florida as a Circuit Court and Appellate Court Mediator.
Mr. Appleton offers common interest community certification courses to board members and their management teams on a regular basis. Mr. Appleton also has appeared as a lecturer at various events sponsored by The Florida Bar, the Community Associations Institute, the Hillsborough County Bar Association and Lorman Education Services.
- University of Florida, J.D., 1998
- University of Florida Alumni Merit Scholarship Recipient
- Certified Legal Intern, Office of the State Attorney for the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit
- University of Florida, B.S., with Honors, 1995
- Anderson Scholar with Distinction. This award is the highest recognition for academic merit bestowed to undergraduate students enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Florida.
- Presidential Service Award. This award recognizes undergraduate students who dedicate themselves to promoting social justice, community awareness and civic engagement at the University of Florida and in the community.
- Florida Bar, Admitted 1999
- The United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- The United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Certified Circuit Court and Appellate Mediator by the Florida Supreme Court
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- The Florida Bar Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee 13 “C”, (2018-2020), Chairman 2020
- The Florida Bar Condominium and Planned Development Law Committee
- The Florida Bar Construction Law Committee
- American Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Real Property Probate and Trust Law Section, Co-Chairman 2006-2009
- Hillsborough County Bar Association Leadership Institute
- Community Associations Institute, Suncoast Chapter
HONORS & RECOGNITIONS
- Named to the Best Lawyers in America, 2016-2021
- Named to the “Florida Super Lawyers” list by Super Lawyers Magazine
- Named to Florida’s “Legal Elite” by Florida Trend Magazine
- Recognized as a member of Florida’s “Up & Coming Legal Elite” by Florida Trend Magazine
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” by Florida Super Lawyers Magazine